Apple Cider Donuts
2 cups sugar
1 Tbl plus 2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups apple cider
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups flour
4 Tbl unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
1. Line baking sheet with parchment. Line a large plate with paper towels. In a paper bag, combine 1 cup sugar and 1 Tablespoon cinnamon; shake to mix well. Set aside.
2. Bring cider to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cider has reduced to 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
3. In a large bowl, whisk baking powder, salt, 1 cup flour and remaining sugar and cinnamon until well combined. In a small bowl, whisk butter, eggs, yolk and cooled cider mixture until well combined. Add cider mixture to flour mixture; whisk until smooth. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups flour and mix until just combined. Dough will be slightly sticky. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
4. Pour oil into a large pot and attach a candy thermometer to side. Heat oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 375, watching and adjusting as needed to keep oil from overheating.
5. Turn dough out onto a well floured counter top and coat finger-tips with flour. Pat dough out to 1/2 inch thickness. Using a doughnut cutter or 2 round cookie cutters(one large and one small), cut out doughnuts and holes. Transfer both to lined baking sheet. Gather scraps and re-pat dough, cutting as many doughnuts as possible.
6. Working in batches, carefully slide doughnuts into hot oil. After about 1 minute, doughnuts will rise to surface and begin to brown. At that point, turn over and fry 1 1/2 minutes longer. Transfer to lined plate to drain. Bring oil back to 375 before frying another batch. When doughnuts have cooled 1 minute, add to bag with cinnamon and sugar and toss to coat. Remove to a clean plate and serve.
Makes about 15 doughnuts and 15 doughnut holes.
3 Tbl olive oil 3 Tbl butter 1 med onion, diced fine 1 med green pepper, diced fine 1 med yellow squash, diced fine 1 lb hamburger 2 ...
2 1/4 C flour 3/4 t baking powder 3/4 t baking soda 3/4 t cream of tartar 1/2 t nutmeg ...
1/4 C butter, softened 1/4 t baking soda 1/4 C vegetable oil 3/4 t nutmeg 1/2 C sugar ...
1/4 lb bacon, cooked crisp, drain and crumble set aside 1/2 cup 1 1/2 lbs burger 1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese 2 eggs, beaten 1/3 C br...